Don't worry to much about you rabbit in hot weather they do loose some of there fur in the hotter time of the year and if your rabbit is 'panting' a bit more than usual this is there way of cooling themselves down a bit!
However you can help them out on extremely warm days! Here are some of the things I do:
- Get an ice pack or a frozen water bottle and put it next to the rabbit(s) this should help them cool down, if your rabbit takes no interest they're obviously fine but don't let this stop you trying another day because there temperatures do vary!
- Another thing is that if there hutch is directly in sunlight put them in a run or inside for a bit to cool down or just make sure they have shade.
- An obvious one but always make sure they have water, preferably not warm, for there sake!
- You can buy cool-pads from places like pets at home, Amazon, EBay etc. personally I think an ice pack will do just as well and won't cost you £30 but if you have some bunny funds lying around test it!
- Getting an ice cube and ubbing it on the end of the bunnies ears is a good cooling method, since all of a rabbits heat comes out through there ears!
- Try not to cuddle your rabbit to much when its boiling for this can make them grumpy and frustrated.
- Fast, shallow breathing
- Wetness around the nose area
- Tossing back of head while breathing rapidly from open mouth
- Really hot ears (not just warm but burning hot, rabbits get warm-ish ears anyway)
If anyone has any questions or queries please comment or contact me at email@example.com
Thank you! x